Monday, May 25, 2015

And Just Like That, Summer Kickoff has Come and Gone

Well, that was a fast weekend. I'm hoping most of you got to enjoy it like I did...with perfect weather, no stressful plans, and delicious food.

I didn't get a three day weekend like most people, in fact, I got the same days off I always have off, the only difference is I usually spend Monday's running errands and this Monday, I didn't do a thing that required responsibility and adulting.

I headed over to my parents house in the early afternoon, when the sun was still shining, when the breeze was gently blowing, and I found my spot on the hammock.  Yes, I go over to my parents house to nap in the hammock....or swing on the swing.

And when it came time for dinner, we go big or go home!  My parents saw a video going around facebook for some beer beer can burgers, and so that was exactly what we made for our Memorial Day meal, and let me tell you.... it was amazing!
 
It's not just a burger...it's a loaded burger.  Instead of putting all the toppings on top of the burger once it's been cooked, you load up the inside of the burger with  everything and then grill the masterpiece.  Talk about filling!  Oy!  I'm going to have to do some more yoga...and cardio...to burn off this meal! 
 

 
It's so easy to get caught up in the moment and celebration of life, and forget all about the meaning of this "3 day weekend" and it would have been so easy to overlook the streets filled with flags waving in the wind, but we can only do all this celebrating because of sacrifice.  We have this freedom because so many men and women gave their lives for this country.  They believed in the stars and stripes, and freedom, and everything this country is built on, and so do I.
 
I know I take my freedom for granted, and I try to remember it more than on Memorial Day and the 4th of July, but I was made and born in the USA, and I don't know anything else than freedom and the American way.
 

So, I'm taking the time to remember, and observe, and pray, and believe in this fine country because it is home...of the free because of the brave.
 

2 comments:

  1. Those burgers look amazing. I'm going to have to try those!

    It's important to remember what the day is about, but I definitely think it's okay to celebrate too. Because what better way to show our gratitude for those that gave the ultimate sacrifice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a luscious meal, and a great post. I'm so glad you're blogging again!

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say...