Saturday, May 23, 2015

Hello...Again...You Probably Don't Remember Me But...

After much thought and consideration, I've decided to come back from my blogging sabbatical and do my best to rejoin the blogging world.  (Yes, I realize I have tons of catching up to do).  I picked the word sabbatical because it's been a full year since I've posted a public blog and I thought sabbatical sounded much better than I-was-too-paranoid-to-post-anything-because-stalkers-were-twisting-everything-in-the-blogging-world-making-my-personal-life-a-dramatic-hot-mess-but-I've-removed-myself-from-those-people-and-cleansed-emotionally-spiritually-physically-and-everything-else-and-I-think-I'm-mentally-balanced-enough-to-blog-without-my-worlds-attacking-me-or-something-like-that-anyway.  Basically, I'm ready to write about the happenings in my small town life world and I'm hoping you still want to read about it.

So, after a full year break, I'm kind of wondering where to begin.  I know I used to do this all the time...effortlessly...and now I'm punching at the keyboard hoping more than rambles will come out.

So far it feels like rambling.

I hope you don't mind.

I am a bit rusty.

But I do have to tell you about winning the best x-ray of the day award.  (Clearly I win the best awards!)

For months, I have had a sensitive tooth.  Actually, maybe years.  Basically since I went to the dentist the last time (2012) and they gave me a filling, this tooth has been bothering me off and on.  I finally got the courage to make an appointment with the free clinic down the street.  Naturally, I have been doing my best to holistically fix my problems with oil pulling and clean toothpaste.  Still, the pain hasn't gone away, hence me finally caving and heading to the dentist.

I arrived 20 minutes early to do the "new patient" paperwork, even though I'd spent a lot of time at the clinic last year when I was told I might possibly have thyroid cancer but instead it turned out to be an incurable life-long auto-immune disease called Hashimoto's. 

They called me in at the exact time of my appointment and I was on my way to get an x-ray of my pearly whites.  I'm always amazed at how much technology evolves every time I get dental x-rays done, mostly because I still remember the awkward bit on this and don't move for ten minutes...each side...and now it's bite here while the machine spins around (making me incredibly dizzy) and then it's done. 

Eight minute later, the x-ray was developed and the dentist was in the room with me.  "You have the best x-ray I've seen all day, I just want to hug you for having good teeth."

"Thank you."  I responded, not really sure if I should give this dentist a hug or not.  I always think about the stats of dentists and suicides and I really wanted to give him a hug...but I didn't.

"Seriously, most of the people who come in here have a mouth full of holes and cavities, and you have a really nice x-ray, nice gum line, everything looked really good.  So, why are you here?"  He asked.

I secret give myself a high five for doing the oil pulling over the last few months and I've even more convinced it works before I pointed to the painful spot on my mouth.  "Sensitive tooth..."

"When it's hot, cold, or sweets?"

"Mostly cold."  I replied.

"Show me exactly where it hurts."  He leaned in close towards my mouth, almost like someone would do if they were about to kiss me, only his fingers came clawing towards me instead of lips.

"Well, it's not sensitive right now..."  I said as I tried to remember the exact spot where it has caused pain in the past.

He moves his fingers around in my mouth, lifting my lips for a better look, or pushing them aside.  "If it's not broke, then don't fix it.  I don't want to go drilling around in there when I can't see the problem, so here's what we are going to do..."  He hands me a tube of toothpaste for sensitive teeth, "use this, and only this, for a few weeks, and I'll have you come back in and if it's still bothering you, I'll put a seal over your filling, but I'm pretty sure this is all you need.  You had a really good x-ray, I wish all the patients x-rays looked like yours."

And just like that, I was out the door, with my tube of sensitive tooth toothpaste, and the best x-ray of the day award.

1 comment:

  1. I'm just visiting from my blog. You should've used the long title! haha! And, speaking of titles, did you notice that I forgot to title mine?? Oh, so much to remember. Congrats on "Best x-ray award".

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say...