Thursday, April 20, 2017

Life with Miss Prim

Whenever I am home, and sitting, or laying, or even standing, Miss Prim is doing her best to give me loving.  I call her my first pet because she's my first non-fish, non-turtle, non-hamster, pet.  And to tell the truth, I'm kinda of surprised she has survived the last 5 years with me given my pet "record" of the my first fish freezing to death due to an ice storm, my hamsters getting lost in the attic and we never exactly found them, and the turtle that I rescued on the side of the road who was set free into the wild less than 24 hours later.

However, I did have a decent fish streak after learning my lesson of leaving it behind in my apartment when the ice storm made me lose electricity.  (When I say it froze to death, I'm not kidding, the tank was a solid chunk of ice with a floating fish near the top.)  I took better care of my fish and even brought the beautiful beta fish to live with me when I moved back in with my parents when I had my run of financial and employment bad luck.  He was growing big and as happy as could be and then, my dad, the most non-pet person I'd ever met, brought home two baby kittens.  One was a fluff ball, the other was a runt who loved me at first sight and has hardly left my side ever since.  (A few months later, the fluffy cat got my fish out of the tank and murdered it...I think my attempts of having fish are over.)

Even though I was on the verge of 30 years old, I had my first REAL pet, you know, the kind that stick around for longer than a week, and the kind that you can spend quality time with instead of watching them inside a tank.  Miss Prim was supposed to be an outside mouser but she found the soft pillows on my bed much more appealing.  She would sneak into my bedroom any time there was opportunity, and because I was on the verge of being a lonely-30-year-old-maid-spinster, I appreciated the snuggle time and pleaded to let her be an inside cat.  My dad declined her cuteness and would send her back outside where she would pout or look at me with lonely eyes from behind the glass door.

When I moved from my parents house, the apartment owner said pets were not allowed.  I gulped, and said goodbye to my purring faithful friend and promised I would visit on the weekends.  And that's when Miss Prim ran away.  I was devastated.  Every time I would drive to my parents house, I would look for dead cat on the side of the road but in my heart, I believed Miss Prim was still alive.  A month later, she arrived back to my parents house, starving and skiddish, but when I went over to see her, she immediately found comfort in my arms.

I decided to ignore the no pet rule at my apartment complex, as many of the other residents had done, and took Miss Prim with me.  She was now a full-time inside cat and she has been the happiest cat ever since.

I never thought I would be a cat person or talk about a cat as much as I do, but Miss Prim really was a blessing in my life.  She reminds me every single day that I am lovable, playful, and worth spending time together.  And to me, that is the best pet to have!






Prompt #6: Your Favorite Childhood Pet



11 comments:

  1. We've had more cats than normal people are supposed to, and I know just what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy! How many cats have you had? If she got along with other cats, I know I'd have more by now, but luckily her distaste for other animals has helped prevent me from becoming a crazy cat lady!

      Delete
  2. What a pretty Miss Prim! I ignored no cat rules years ago for a sweet little homeless torty. She went to live with a friend when I moved across the state. He gave me visitation rights (haha)so I still saw her when I went to visit. She lived to a ripe old age of about 20!

    For years hubby was allergic, but as he's aged, he's grown out of it? More than 20 years and we finally got an indoor cat about a year ago. I promise you, she is the terror cat from Hades. She is no ones friend and hisses at everyone but me and hubby. We've always had really nice outdoor cats that tolerated our kids even when they were toddlers. Why now? We even had her fixed recently thinking that might change her mood. Um nope! She may even be worse! We're all about ready to put her on Craigslist and try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!!!! I'm glad she doesn't hiss at you but fixing them definitely changes their moods! Miss Prim went through a very bitter and angry stage after she got fixed!

      Delete
  3. The unconditional love of a pet can be a healing thing, for sure! How great that Miss Prim found her way back to you. Love the last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Animals tend to bond form strong bonds to owners. Many Parrots, because they mate for life in the wild, take the human who owns them as a "mate" and literally go insane if that owner gives them up. There's a whole refuge in France, I think, for abandoned insane parrots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't know that! Note to self, if I don't get married, get a parrot!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely love the picture...congrats on getting such a cute image. Does that reflect both of your personalities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Miss Prim is always photobombing my yoga pictures so I try to photobomb her when she yawns.

      Delete
  6. Miss Prim is adorable. I am so glad she came back to you <3

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say...